3 Toxic Foods to Keep Out of Your Pets Way
Keeping your pet healthy requires a lot of steps, including keeping your eye on what you are feeding them and what they can get their little snoots into.
There are many different foods and plants that can cause significant damage to your beloved animal friends, and the first step to keeping them safe is to know what they cannot have and what to keep away from their curious nature.
With that in mind, this piece is going to take a look at some of the common foods to keep away from your pets to make sure they don’t suffer any consequences of consuming them. Let’s get into it.
These little rascals can get their noses into everything that is left out (and that has been put away), and since chocolate is one of those treats that humans love, it is safe to assume that it will be lying around most homes. Unfortunately, what is basically an essential for humans is also a serious threat to their crafty canines.
If your dog does manage to get into the chocolate box – try not to panic, and call a vet such as Orting Animal Hospital ASAP. Treatment and severity will vary depending on the size of the dog and how much chocolate is consumed. You can get ‘dog safe’ chocolate, but it is essential to make sure it is exactly what it says it is. You should also keep your cats away from chocolate too!
2. Onion, Garlic, and Chives
It is best to avoid this family of plants when it comes to pets – not many animals are keen on them, and they can cause real problems when ingested in even small amounts.
Not only can onions, garlic, and chives cause stomach issues, but they can also cause red blood cell damage and even anemia. Cats are more susceptible to problems, but keeping these foods away from pets is a good idea.
3. Sweeteners (Xylitol)
The sweetner Xylitol can be found in so many products now, which is why it is essential to check everything you are eating before you share a little bit of it with your furry pal.
Xylitol, in particular, can cause some serious problems for dogs, and is extremely toxic. This is because Xylitol can pull water into the intestines, or it can be fermented by bacteria present in the intestines. This can cause seizures, liver failure, and even death.
It is also worth noting that different sweeteners come under different names too, so if you are unsure about an ingredient, then check what it is or just forgo giving it to your pet all together.
That being said, there are some sweeteners that are safe for animals, but if you aren’t sure, it is best just to err on the side of caution. There are many foods that should be kept out of the way of your pets, and if you aren’t sure – don’t risk it!